Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why Detox?

I've been getting a lot of questions and comments about my detox. Things like:
  • That seems unhealthy
  • Aren't you hungry?
  • What's the point?
  • Are you cheating at night?
  • I could never do that
  • You're gonna eat that WHOLE bag of veggies?!
Here's the scoop - This 7 day detox is just that, its a detox. And its for 7 days. Not a month, not a lifetime, not what I'm going to do to lose all the weight I need to lose.

There are a lot of great reasons to do a detox - but here are mine: It helps to cleanse my palate and reduce my cravings. I'm a junk food junky and I don't generally crave veggies - I generally crave cookies. Or cheetos. But, after the detox, I've got all the artificial sweeteners out of my system - all the non-nutritive junk that abounds in "non-foods" and I virtually eliminate my cravings for those things after 7 days of detox. That's just me.

On top of that, for me, its about discipline. Proving to myself that I can do something that just isn't all that easy. Drawing a definitive "line in the sand" between the way things were and the way things are.

And, its a really awesome jump start to my weight loss. I am having great success with this detox and I can't wait to share how much weight I've lost over the course of my 7 days. (Yes, I have been weighing myself daily. Yes, I know that's very bad and I don't recommend it. But I have weird issues with that. I'll stop doing it after detox, I promise. Well, I promise I'll try).

And for everyone who thinks there is no way they could just eat raw fruits and veggies for 7 days - yes you can. If I can, anyone can. Really, anyone. The first day is about sheer willpower. Making the decision to do it and not quitting. The second day is about managing your hunger. Making sure you are eating PLENTY of veggies and drinking a lot of water. After that, it gets easier. I have noticed that I'm sleeping better, I have more energy, my skin is clearer and my clothes fit better. And for crying out loud - its 7 days not 7 years.

No, I'm not cheating at night (or in the morning or the afternoon for that matter). I'm not really that hungry anymore. Sure, its not easy to watch other people eat. It's not easy to smell delicious things you want to eat (for some reason the break room at work today smells like bacon and its heavenly). But, what would life look like if we only did what was easy? Not a life I'd want to live, personally.

So there ya have it. And I only have 2.5 days left of detox. Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment