Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Only Obstacle

If you're following me on twitter (which you should be: bentonek) you know that I had a revelation of sorts last night. I was sitting on the couch with my bottle of water and bowl of carrots while my husband cooked himself spaghetti and meatballs and I realized: I am my only obstacle. That's right - so all the former failed diets? Me. All the weight lost and gained? Me. The weeks that went by without going to the gym? Me. Growing out of my not-so-fat jeans? Me. The only thing that stands in the way of me reaching my goal weight? Me.

And you know what? That's great news. Because I'm on "Team Elizabeth" now. I've been fighting against myself. Sabotaging myself. For like, 20 years. The only person who has any influence on my success? ME.

There is an internal battle that I've been fighting against myself for a really, really long time. And I'm not going to pretend that I have it all figured out - I don't - I don't know why I've been battling. But I know that I'm the one in control of this weight loss journey. I'm the one who can make my body and my mind stronger. I am training myself. I am training myself one small decision at a time.

I read yesterday that your health is your most important wealth. So true! How crazy I've been to put more focus on my financial wealth than the wealth that comes from my  health! But I'm transforming. One small, good decision at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth -

    I just have to say how much I love your blog and the thoughtfulness behind what you're posting. What an amazing revelation and how appropriate for so many of us (and in so many circumstances).

    Your post yesterday was a great reminder for me -- to make sure I have enough food to get through the day(s) on the detox (and after). I know now that having enough food available has always been an issue for me.

    I'll be starting again next week (after my root canal pain goes away and I can crunch the veggies...)!

    I'm really enjoying getting to know you -- I wish you so much success. Keep up the AMAZING work.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mari! I'm putting my thoughts out there pretty candidly hoping they might resonate with someone. Glad to know that you're enjoying reading! I'm definitely enjoying writing. I hope you heal up quickly after your root canal!

    ReplyDelete