Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Best Offense is a Good Defense

There are many instances in which "the best offense is a good defense" is applicable. However, for me, I've found the reverse to oftentimes be more useful. For me, more often than not, the best defense is a good offense.

At work, I defend against stress by being organized, trying to stay ahead of schedule and proactively planning to avoid possible setbacks.

In my marriage, I defend against arguments or stress by choosing to have a positive attitude, choosing to compliment my husband, choosing to not engage in trivial disagreements.

In my journey to get healthy and lose weight I am learning to defend against temptations, setbacks and discouragements. While I don't have it entirely figured out yet, I am learning every day. I learned this morning that failing to plan can really be a plan to fail. Despite going to bed early last night, I didn't get up on time this morning and I didn't have time to make breakfast. I ended up eating my morning snack for breakfast and forgetting my protein bar. So now, its early afternoon and I'm hungry with no options. In the past, this would when I'd make a desperate rush to the vending machine. But, I chalking this up as a learning opportunity and just increasing my water intake to help curb the hunger.

Defending against temptation means not going out to eat as often. One great piece of advice I got relating to eating out was to look at the menu before you go and decide what you will order. That way, when you get there and your hungry, you don't have to sift through all the temptations on the menu. Love that! It also means getting my husband on board with not having junk in the house. Even though he is not doing TLS with me, the least he can do to support me is not bring temptations in the house. (He knows he'll lose a limb if he even thinks about bringing chocolate peanut butter ice cream into the house).

Defending against discouragement means not checking my weight every day. Not subjecting myself to the emotional torture of normal weight fluctuations. It means not setting unrealistic expectations of rapid weight loss. It means embracing slow, measured body change as a result of permanent lifestyle changes.

What proactive steps do you take to help you stay on track?

No comments:

Post a Comment