Friday, March 18, 2011

Right Choices

It was not hard to have a healthy breakfast this morning. It wasn't even hard to have a healthy lunch. Making one good decision has never been hard for me. Making hundreds of good decisions is hard. Making a change for a day is easy. Making a change for a lifetime is hard. I read this quote today and quickly decided it will be a new mantra of mine:

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time"


That quote is reinforcement that I can do this. That this is a long journey, but I can make it because I just have to make one good choice. Then another. And create a habit of doing what is right on an ongoing basis. I don't need to get overwhelmed about how much weight I'll have lost in 3 months. Or how much I'll weigh in 6 months. Or what size clothes I'll be wearing next year at this time. Or what if I get pregnant before I reach my goal weight. None of that matters. The weight on the scale doesn't matter. I just have to make the right choice at the right time and all of this will fall in to place. 


Historically, I set these big goals. In 3 months, I'll have lost 25 lbs. In 6 months I'll have lost 40. I'll workout 5 times each week. I'll be at my goal weight within 10 months. Unfortunately, at the first sign that I'm not going to reach one of my goals, I jump ship. I feel defeated and I tell myself I'm a failure. But the reality is that if I make healthy choices 80% of the time, I exercise regularly, I get enough sleep - I begin taking care of my body - my body will take care of me. The weight will come off. The clothes will fit better. My energy will increase. I will be healthier.


The problem with me comes when I make one bad choice and tell myself I'm a failure. Feeling worthless turns one bad choice into a month of bad choices. But my new mantra will remind me that after one choice, good or bad, the slate is clear and I have an opportunity to make myself better with my next choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment