Monday, March 14, 2011

An Object in Motion

I love Newton. Especially Newton's 1st law of motion:  "An object in motion will stay in motion and an object at rest will stay at rest (unless acted upon by another object)".

To some, this probably seems like an obvious concept - but it is so fundamental to live - even beyond physics.

When you are in a rut - not working out, not eating healthy, not taking care of yourself, not caring for your finances - whatever it is - the longer you are in the rut, the longer you will stay. An object at rest will stay at rest.

On the other hand - if you are actively making good decisions - if you are intentional about doing what needs to be done - you will be more likely to keep doing so. An object in motion will stay in motion.

If the overall trajectory of your life is progress - it is a lot more difficult to go backwards than if you are just stagnant. Are you stagnant? Or are you making progress? I ask myself each morning - "What am I going to do today to make progress towards my goal?". If I am not intentional about asking and answering that question, I WILL become stagnant. I WILL lose ground. On the other hand, if I continuously push myself, achieve new goals, conquer obstacles, I will stay in forward motion.

For me, that looks like preparing my food the night before. It means making sure I have plenty of healthy choices in the house. It means working out when I'd rather take a nap or watch TV. It means reading my Bible. It means reaching out to friends even when I don't have the energy. It means making time for my husband when I'd rather have some alone time. Everyday.

I'm in motion. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment