Monday, March 21, 2011

Positive People

I have to surround myself with people that make me better. People who challenge me and help me grow. People who encourage me to meet my goals and hold me accountable. I think everyone has people like that in their life. But we also have people who don't bring out the best in us. And oftentimes, those people are close friends or even family. I am really making an effort to minimize the impact that the latter has on my life, my attitude and my personal growth. It's not easy.

One of the people who really challenges me and supports me - someone I learn from everytime I talk to her - is my friend Michelle. If you haven't already, you need to check out her blog. I love it. Her latest post is about excuses. Excuses are something that have really held me back when I've tried to lose weight before. I could write a book of excuses. And honestly - I still really struggle with excuses. I should have worked out tonight but I didn't. In fact, I had plans with a friend tonight that were canceled so I had even more time that I expected. But I didn't. I didn't do anything. I ate my healthy dinner, cleaned up, packed tomorrow's lunch, played with the dog...and not much else. And I'm mad at myself for making the excuse that I am too tired - I didn't sleep well last night - I have emails to catch up on, etc.

But, I'm going to take the advice Michelle gave in her blog today and I'm going to set two goals for the rest of the month of March. While there is only this week and next left in March, I WILL workout 5 times this week and 5 times next week. No excuses. (Even in my mind right now I'm thinking about how I have plans every single night this week and how I'll have to wake up early and how tired I am). Oh well - I guess there are always excuses - everyone has them. But what makes us different is how we respond to excuses. I'll overcome them. I'll be successful in spite of them. And I'll continue to surround myself with people who challenge me and help me become the person I want to be. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment