Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Maintaining Motivation

I'm motivated today. I've been motivated for the last week or so. That motivation is what helps me pass by the donuts in the office and avoid snacking out the pantry at night. It helped me stay focused today in the grocery store when I went for vegetables (and cheese for my hubby) and was tempted by sushi, pita chips and cookie dough.

But I imagine there will be a day soon when I don't feel so motivated. And I'm really trying to formulate a plan for overcoming temptation when I'm not feeling so motivated. 'Cause that's what makes me nervous. That's where I've gone wrong before. Giving in to one temptation leads to another, which leads to another.... A bad meal turns into a bad day which turns into a bad week, month. In the past, I've really lacked the ability to (with any consistency) allow myself a "treat" and then get right back on track. I think maybe it has to do with the guilt that I pile on myself when I eat something I crave. I instantly feel like I've "failed" and then immediately develop an attitude of "Oh well, I screwed up so the whole day is shot". My general attitude is all or nothing. I'm full steam ahead with 200% effort or I'm just not moving at all.

There are a couple things I'm determined to do differently this time around:
  • When I have those occassional sweats or treats, I'm not going to hide it. I usually try to hide it or sneak it. I don't want anyone to see me eating anything unhealthy. I'm going to have occasional treats and I'm going to talk about it.
  • I'm going to focus on progress and not perfection. In past attempts to lose weight, I would gauge my success by how many perfect days I could have in a row. But then when I would indulge in something, I was immediately a failure. I need to give up that notion of perfection because it just doesn't exist. It's not a reality for me. I just need to be making more good choices than bad choices. That's it.
Phone rang. Lost train of thought. Tired now. More tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment