Sunday, March 20, 2011

Balancing and Other Practical Matters

Every Saturday I plan out the next week's meals and make my grocery list. This can be a bit of challenge for me since I have to take into account what things my husband will eat, how much time I have to cook that night and having a variety of healthy foods. For example, the only night this week that we don't have an evening commitment is Tuesday. That can be tough when it comes to cooking since I generally don't get home until around 6 and our engagements are either at 7 or 6:30. All my meals have to meet the following criteria: my husband will eat them (picky eater), they are low GI, include both protein AND vegetables and can be prepped and cooked within 30 minutes (there might be one night a week where I have 60 minutes to cook). Most weeks, that feels like a pretty tall order. I also factor in one night where we do our own thing - I'll put together a salad with some leftovers and Aaron can do whatever he wants.

This week will look a little like this:
  • Sunday - Turkey meatloaf and brussel sprouts
  • Monday - Pistacchio crusted chicken with avocado lime sauce served over lettuce
  • Tuesday - Grilled steaks and salad
  • Wednesday - Potroast with veggies in the crockpot
  • Thursday - Veggie omelets
  • Friday - leftovers
Most of the time, I'll take leftovers to work for lunch the next day. When there aren't any leftovers (or what I made was terrible) I have tuna and veggies for lunch.

Today, when I went to the grocery store, I had to remind myself that while I am spending more at the grocery store, I'm spending less overall. I'm saving by not going out to eat as much, by not buying sodas or other snacks, not stopping at Chick-fil-A for breakfast. Everything I eat I buy at the grocery store. While I'm spending about $30/week more at the grocery store, I'm pretty sure I'm saving about $20/week overall.

I still feel really good - I feel strong and positive. The only thing that has the power to get me down right now is the scale and that's why I'm staying off of it. I know that I'm doing what I need to do and the scale will follow. Here's to another great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment