Monday, March 14, 2011

Skill Building

When I think about transformation, I don't initially think about transforming my body. I really don't. I mean, don't get me wrong - losing weight is a huge part of this - but this has been a lifelong struggle for me so I'm equally, if not more, excited about the mental and emotional transformation that I am creating.

Food is my drug of choice. (Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I'm a foodaholic). I am an emotional eater. I treat my stress, anxiety, happiness, sadness, anger, etc with food. I soothe myself by giving in to my cravings. It's my way of saying "Ok, breathe. Everything is going to be OK. Wind down - take control". That is the message that food sends to my brain. And you know, breaking that addiction - the addiction to that calming effect of food - I think, is harder in a lot of ways than any other addiction. You can't just walk away from food. You can't quit eating. You have to make food decisions dozens of times a day. You can't say "I'm not going to hang around with those awful people who eat cake anymore".  It's everywhere. And you need it. So you have to create a new relationship with food. A relationship in which I am in control A relationship where food is primarily a tool, not a crutch. Now, I'm not saying that I never want to feel joy in regards to food - food is emotional. It always will be. I'll always enjoy cake. But it can't control me. I must be in control. I am trying to do that by being aware of my emotions when I eat. And talking about it. Here.

I also need to work on enjoying healthy foods. Healthy food doesn't have to be boring or bland. My primary issue here is that for me to feel in control - for me to be sure that what I am eating is healthy - I need to be the one preparing it. And you know what? I'm a TERRIBLE cook. But, I really believe that as long as you can read, you can cook. So, what I'm working on is identifying the types of food I really look forward to eating and figuring out how to cook it in a healthy way. For example, I love Greek food. So yesterday, I marinated some chicken in chicken broth and a variety of spices and baked it. Then I made some tzatziki sauce from scratch (cucumbers, FF yogurt, LF sour cream, lemon juice). It was mediocre. But now I'll try a different recipe. I'll become a good cook. I'll find great mexican recipes, great Japanese recipes. I'll be one of those people who would rather eat at home than eat out because I'm just that good.

So - do you have any great, low GI recipes you love? Share them with me! And if I knock one out of the park, I'll share it with you!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment