Monday, April 4, 2011

My Appetite Is Not For Food

Have you read 'Women Food and God'? I'm reading it now. I bought it several months ago at the recommendation of my sister, Emily, but I was working through several other books and didn't get through the first chapter of it but now I'm diving back in. I loved the first chapter and I hope I like the rest just as well. Be prepared for numerous references between now and when I finish.

I sat down to read for a bit but didn't even get through a page before I felt the need to share it here. Such a huge, powerful, substantial thought - I had to put it out there.

In chapter 2 Geneen writes: "Women turn to food when they are not hungry because they are hungry for something they can't name: a connection to what is beyond the concerns of daily life. Something deathless, something sacred. But replacing the hunger for divine connection with Double Stuf Oreos is like giving a glass of sand to a person dying of thirst. It creates more thirst, more panic...We lose the pieces of ourselves waiting to be found beneath it."

Um, hello. Yeah. I can totally relate to that feeling of turning to food only to make things so much worse. My challenge here is to define what exactly I'm longing for that I have been silencing with food. To seek and find those pieces of myself that are hidden beneath 20+ years of emotional garbage. I don't have any answers today. I'm just spending more time with myself and my thoughts - time in prayer, time in self-reflection and brutal honesty about my feelings.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Maybe other people quench their hunger with drugs or lust or money and totally can't relate to my issue with food. I don't know. What are you truly hungry for? Have you always known? When I find out what I'm hungry for, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment