Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bargaining with Myself

Hey guys - sorry I didn't get to post a blog last night...we have no power because of the storms around here. We aren't expected to get it back until tomorrow! Such a drag. I'm feeling totally gross today without a "proper" shower.

Let me ask a rhetorical question: Do you ever bargain with yourself? I totally do it all the time. I had planned all day yesterday to go to the gym after work. However, on my way home, the bargaining started. "I really don't want to work out tonight. In fact, I'm tired and it probably wouldn't be a great workout. It would probably be better if I take tonight off and just work out early tomorrow AM. I mean, my food has been perfect. I'm still going to lose weight regardless of whether or not I workout. Well, we'll play it by ear. Let me just relax for a few minutes before I decide."

Fortunately for me, the power was out when I got home. Not TV to watch - no internet to distract me. The gym became my best option. But honestly, if the power had not been out, I'm not sure I would have worked out. And if I had put it off til this morning, I'm about 99% sure I wouldn't have worked out. As I was going through my workout I was reminded of the saying "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today". It's so true. There was nothing going on to keep me from the gym. I just didn't feel like it. But a big part of this journey, for me, is making the decision to do things because they are good for me - regardless of whether or not I feel like it.

And the bargaining isn't always about workouts. Oftentimes its food. "I'm not going to have any cake at this party. I don't need it. But it looks so good. I'll just have a small piece. A small piece is better than a huge piece, right? I've been good all day. I'll have a small dinner. I'll workout extra hard tonight".

It's those internal dialogues that threaten success. It's old habits trying to creep back in to my every day life. Temptation. Justification. Bargaining. I'm working to be more aware of those internal struggles and identify them as what they are: threats. lies. attempts to throw me off course.

As for yesterday, I made it to the gym and had a great workout. Once I finished, as always, I was so glad I went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment