Saturday, April 2, 2011

If You Can Walk, You Can Run

I love Saturdays. Saturday is by far my favorite day of the week. It is the only day where I feel like I can make my own schedule and go at my own pace. Of course, I know that will only work until I have kids. But for now, I absolutely love Saturdays.

Today was a great Saturday. I woke up early and went to the gym, went to a friend's birthday party, went and did a little shopping, took a long nap, then had dinner and saw a movie with Aaron. Best of all, its 9:20 and we are in the for the night. If you know me, you know I'm a morning person. More importantly, I am NOT a night owl. I would be perfectly happy to be fast asleep by 9pm every night. That never happens, but I love getting home early and getting a good night's sleep.

So, if you read my post about goals yesterday, you know that within the next 30 days I will be able to run for 30 minutes straight. I've NEVER been a runner. I've always wanted to be, but I've told myself that my body just isn't meant to run. But I'm determined to prove myself wrong. If you can walk, you can run, right?

Right now, I think from a cardiovascular endurance standpoint I could totally do it. But, since I carry most of my extra weight in my hips, butt and legs, my legs get too tired and even though I'm not winded or fatigued, my legs just won't carry me any further. So - I've started an 8 week program that I plan to do in 4-5 weeks. We'll see if I'm being over ambitious or if its reasonable. I started out today with 30 minutes on the treadmill doing repeated intervals of running and walking. Over the next few weeks, the running intervals will get longer and the walking intervals will get shorter. While its only day one, the workout today felt great. It was empowering and energizing. I'm really excited for the next one. I'll definitely keep you posted about my progress!

One of the things I picked up while I was shopping today was dandelion extract. I have a major issue with water retention. In a matter of minutes my ring can go from very lose to not even able to turn on my finger. It's really pretty crazy. I don't know why I have such crazy fluctuations, but its really frustrating. So, I picked up the dandelion extract to help mitigate the water retention. Let me just say - it tastes AWFUL. Totally gross. But hopefully it will serve its intended purpose.

That's all for today. No breakthrough thoughts - no crazy revelations. Just my day. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment