Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

Hey y'all! Happy Easter! So while I totally missed being around family this Easter, the upside is that it was probably the first Easter EVER that I didn't eat any candy! It was just a quiet day at home - church and then lunch with some awesome friends who didn't want us to be alone on Easter.

So, I guess an update is overdue, huh? As you guys know, I had been working really hard with my running workouts but unfortunately I got hurt. I don't really know what the problem is but bottom line is that I have a searing pain from my foot up through my knee that is pretty close to unbearable when I run. So, I took about a week off from my workouts and concentrated on stretching and flexibility. I'm not gonna lie - I'm super bummed. Running for 30 min by May 1st isn't going to happen.

Other than that, things are alright. I have a big doctor's appointment tomorrow (Monday) that I am stressing about so there was a little bit of emotional eating this weekend. But, tomorrow is a new day and I'm making progress every day. One of my good friends, who is a personal trainer, invited me out to her gym tomorrow night for a workout so I'm really looking forward to that. This same friend also recommended a book to me - you MUST read this if you are a woman struggling with weight! I haven't been able to put it down. It's called "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst. Totally amazing. It has personal reflection questions at the end of each chapter and I think they are awesome. I'll share one of them with you.

"One weightloss company personifies cravings as a little orange monster that chases us around, tempting us to eat unhealthy foods....If you could personify craving based on your experience of it, what form would it take?"

For me, my "cravings" look like me - a fat, tired, lazy me. Me as the victim. Reassuring yet sly - making me feel like I shouldn't have to "try" so hard. Telling me its OK to do what feels good. That I deserve it. It lures me in to this place of complacency - it knows that I put this tremendous pressure on myself to lose weight and it leverages that - telling me I'm fine just the way I am, even though I don't WANT to be this way. It's definitely not the me I want to be.

So - where do I go from there? Well, I guess identifying this voice in my head as destructive and manipulative is step 1. That will help me identify it more easily. And replacing those thoughts with positive, encouraging and empowering thoughts. And having people in my life who encourage me, build me up and most importantly, hold me accountable. (Still accepting applications for those people in my life!!)

On that note - Happy Easter. Hope you guys had a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment