Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Today's Choices

What you do today dictates who you are tomorrow. I saw that on twitter today and it kinda made me freak out a bit. It made me think of how my grandmother used to warn me that if I made funny faces my face would freeze that way. It used to make me stop in my tracks and wonder what life would be like if I permanently had my tongue sticking out and my eyes crossed (I'm thinkin' that wouldn't be a great look...)

But what if today's habits were frozen in time as our habits for the rest of our earthly lives? Well, if it was based on today, I can tell you I wouldn't be very happy. I'd oversleep every day and go without eye makeup. I'd not get things accomplished at work because I'd spend the day cleaning and organizing my office. I'd never eat breakfast. I'd never eat any fruits and vegetables (I hope Lydia doesn't read this - I had absolutely no fresh fruits or veggies today). I wouldn't read my Bible. I wouldn't make it to the gym. I'd eat dinner while standing at the counter.

Just as I breathe a sigh of relief because I know my habits aren't frozen in time I remember that they kinda are. That little twitter post I read today is so true: What you do today dictates who you are tomorrow. Sure, I can (and will) have a better day tomorrow. I'll wake up on time. I'll workout. I'll eat breakfast. I'll have balanced meals. I'll read my Bible. But I'll still wake up with the consequences of who I am today. I didn't make forward progress today. I didn't get closer to my goal today. My choices today create someone I don't want to be.

And I think that reminding myself that each choice I make reinforces either the woman I want to be or the woman I don't want to be. *sigh* I'm increasingly grateful that every new day bring a new opportunity to be better and stronger. Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment