Thursday, May 19, 2011

Take Captive Every Thought

Thanks to my dear friend Michelle, I've been thinking a lot lately about my thoughts and words and their power in my life. I think we are all familiar with the phrase "You become what you think about all day long" (which might imply that I should be a bowl of ice cream.....) And though I'm not said bowl of ice cream, I am a person largely (no pun intended) controlled by food.

My life is consumed with thoughts driven by shame, anger and frustration about my weight. Thoughts, words and fears of failure and defeat. Where has that gotten me....?

A month or so ago I said I was going to stop all negative self talk for 90 days. I'm gonna go ahead and say that venture didn't turn out so well. I didn't decide to give up, I just sort of forgot about the challenge and went about thinking and talking as I normally do. But I"m really interested to see just how things might change if I change the way I think about myself. So I'm going to put a note to myself on my desk at work and in my car as a reminder to "take captive every thought". It won't be easy to completely re-wire my brain but I'm going to make it a very intentional focus.

What is the tape you play in your head about yourself, your life, your marriage or your job? Do you think its impacting your life? Maybe you'll join me in seeing what happens when we switch out the tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment