Monday, May 2, 2011

Appetite and Emptiness

I've finished the book "Made to Crave". I highly recommend it. Two phrases really stuck with me. "When my heart feels empty, my stomach picks up on it". "Satan wants to keep us distracted by chasing one temporary filling after another".

I eat when I'm not hungry. I'm not driven to eat ice cream and oreos because I'm ravenously hungry. But at times I have an unquenchable appetite for these things. Since it's not driven by my empty stomach, I'm trying to evaluate what other types of emptiness I'm trying to fill with food. At a cursory glance, there is nothing glaringly wrong in my life that I can blame for this emptiness. I think it is years of wrong programming - years of not dealing with the normal, healthy, occasional emptiness that comes in difficult seasons of life. I just let Satan convince me to avoid emotional triggers and silence them with food.

In paying attention to these triggers that make me want to dive into a bag of cookies, I think I'll also need to embrace emptiness and pain. I'll have to allow myself to feel these voids so that I can fill myself up with healthy things. To address this emotional and spiritual emptiness. To face temptation and instead of bemoaning deprivation, embrace sacrifice. Embrace sacrifice that I'm willing to make in order to gain something much more worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment